CLICK here to view the 2016 Greek Triathlon Calendar

CLICK here to view the 2016
Brevets (long distance) Road Bike Events in Greece

The Motivation: If not now, then when? Life is too short to stay inactive.
The Challenge: If you are not willing to suffer, then you shouldn't be racing
The Dream: Staying fit and feeling younger day by day!




28 March 2012

7th place - 2012 British and Euro Open Indoor Rowing Championship



Scroll at the end of this article to view the official results of the Mens 30-34 HWT Race

Above: 2012 BIRC in Nottingham. Fun pre-race photo shot. What an amazing feeling to compete on my first ever IRC abroad. My dream came true, same for the race time with a PB.

My history
What a great event to be at! My first ever indoor rowing race abroad is something that will stay happily in my memory forever. An event that has motivated me to train harder and target higher expectations with more confidence.

My rowing background started at the beginning of 2009 when I was mainly using the indoor rower for general fitness and during winter time only. Soon though, I realised that the indoor rower, when utilised properly, can offer the best physical conditioning between other gym facilities, more than weight lifting or treadmill running can offer alone. On December of the same year I finished first on the Greek indoor rowing championship and set a new national record. It was that instance when I realised that indoor rowing matches my body shape well.



The turning point
Since then, I got involved into indoor rowing more systematically. Actually, during winter time, when training takes place indoors, indoor rowing constitutes my core training surrounded occasionally by weight lifting for strengthening the muscles. In 2010 and 2011, I was on the Greek IRC medals again (1st and 2nd respectively).

Despite doing triathlon in the summer term, I still think that rowing is a far better option for me to follow, even on a competitive level. So, suddenly the right oppurtunity was there: Time to join a race abroad, and the 2012 British and Euro Open IRC at Nottingham University on the 25 March, was the perfect opportunity to satisfy my dream!

The road to my first Euro event
For this purpose, I was lucky enough to receive the full support of a rowing coach, which I met at the 2011 Greek IRC through the Greek distributor of world class C2 indoor rowers. From the first contact it was obvious that we both wanted to achieve the best possible results for the coming race at Nottingham, despite the shortage of time (only 10 weeks before the race). However, we agreed to fully commit on it and achieve what ever is was mostly feasible, based on the existing experience within the Greek IRC events.

It wasn't easy for me to build a full confidence around this plan, since I am not a rower (I have never rowed a boat on the water before)! I just use the indoor rower for general, but serious though, physical conditioning. However, my dream to race on the international arena was supplying me with all the energy I needed to follow the structured training defined by my coach.

The countdown to the event passed amazingly fast. Perhaps, I was so absorbed into preparation and this helped me to deal with the demanding training sessions. I think the good thing about indoor rowing (and at any sport in general, I guess) is that, as soon as you have done your training there is nothing to worry about - more or less you expect to race the way you train. I taught myself to suffer during the preparation, so I could perhaps suffer if not more, at least the same way during the race. Simple, but effective rule.

The race (2000m, 30-34 Men heavy weight)
The top guys at the BIRC were proper rowers. I mean this. They are huge, muscular, bulky, tall and they look ...dangerous when they row! It is a completely different thing to look those guys on video when they row and when you meet them in person. Despite me being 1.93m tall, I felt that some of them were like a huge wall in front of me!

The event organisers at BIRC were very inspiring. The so called TMWTM (a.k.a 'The Man With The Microphone'!) gave everything to feed the air with energy and excitement. So much, that my friends who were watching me from the stands and don't row, were eventually locked into the event from the action generated in the race arena!

At 15:25 it was time for me to appear at the holdings area (behind the rowers as you look from the stands) with 10 minutes to go! I realised once again that it is a completely difference thing to look others when they race and when it is you who will actually be racing! I can't hide that I was nervous and anxious - to let this feeling off I was reminding myself about the hard work I have been doing since Christmas towards this event.



The plan (and common between other athletes) was to row fast the first and last 500m, and slightly easier the mid 1000m section. My previous 2000m PB was 6:23.3.

The start up procedure was the usual one: 'Gentlemen, pick up your handles...sit ready.... attention...ROW!!!'. I was going solid and ready to suffer the closer I was getting to the finish line. During the first 500m I was about 5th if I remember well, what a feeling! I knew though that this wasn't to last for very long. Indeed, prior to the race I've studied the previous records of the guys who were racing on my division and I knew that even a top 10 would be hard if I wasn't going to put 100% of effort during the race.

I raced with the plan, though I slipped off a bit in the last quarter (500m to go). Actually, my muscles were ready to explode with 400m to go. It felt like always, the last meters before the finish line. I tried to maintain my position, which had dropped down to 7. I was threatened from behind, but unable to catch the person at 6. So, I better keep my tail safe, I thought. In the last 100m, I was approached by a guy who was only 2 meters behind me. I hold my teeth tight and I said 'Row to the finish line and then collapse'.

I crossed the finish line in 6:21.1, a PB at the first Euro Open IRC in UK !

Behind me and within less than a second they were 2 guys! - so relieved to know that I retained my position! I was a bit off my initial sub 6:20 target, but I couldn't ask for more considering the limited training period and the fact that I am not a rower. The first guy did a respectable 6:10.9 .

I think if the race could go better for me that would be only by a couple of seconds, so a 6th place at best would be the optimum. But, let's not ask for everything. The limited 10 weeks preparation towards this event produced the best possible outcome and awarded me and my coach with the most satisfying way.

I feel glad to be at that event. UK is the country that produces Olympic class rowers and it was a big honour for me to see those guys racing on the arena with me.

Thank you Nottingham. Thank you BIRC. You made me suffer, but this is what makes this sport so special. I will miss you!



Men 30-34 Hwt 2012 British and Euro Open IRC - Final Results
(click on a name below to view detailed race graph data)

Pos. Name Club Age Result
Simon GoughTeam Oarsome326:10.9
Richard BlagroveMad Team IRC306:11.3
Simon NewtonNewquay IRC326:14.6
4Casey ClarkeSub 7 IRC336:15.9
5Ewen RothForum Flyers336:16.7
6Ollie OsborneRoyal Navy316:18.6
7Konstantinos PliakostathisAthens, Greece336:21.1
8Rhodri JonesBridgend346:21.5
9Ben MahoneyBuckinghamshire346:21.6
10Owen JamesAllforyou Sports Massage Rotherham336:27.1
11Pete MarstonMad Team346:27.4
12Mark BowerEmpty The Tanks346:32.8
13Adam JonesChesham346:34.1
14Ruaidhri StewartStrongroom.ie346:34.5
15Richard YoungEmpty The Tanks346:38.3
16Richard GrzeszczakFaversham - Syndale Park306:40.3
17Vladimrs PupelisLATC326:44.4
18Chris FollonChesterfield326:46.5
19Mathew HeckfordHull306:56.6
20Gwyn RobertsSub 7 IRC317:18.1
21Gareth BartramLong Eaton347:19.1
22Ian HowseSub 7 IRC347:33.1
23Mark BurgeSub 7 IRC348:02.2








No comments:

Popular blog articles...