CLICK here to view the 2016 Greek Triathlon Calendar

CLICK here to view the 2016
Brevets (long distance) Road Bike Events in Greece

The Motivation: If not now, then when? Life is too short to stay inactive.
The Challenge: If you are not willing to suffer, then you shouldn't be racing
The Dream: Staying fit and feeling younger day by day!




25 September 2010

Schiniathlon Tri-event (19 Sept. 2010) - Sprint Distance (750m swim, 20km bike, 5km run)




(above: entering the 5km route)


(approaching the finish line...)

Results (out of the 135 competitors in total, see http://www.schiniathlon.gr/ for more info):
Swim: 41st position
Bike: 35th position
Run: 88th position
Overall: 52nd place (total time: 1 hour 26 min)

Well, I know that I've completely messed it up during the run, this section cost me a lot
on the overall position. I could climb another 10-12 positions by cutting down just 2-3 min from the run. The race was tight, on average between 4-5 athletes were passing you for every minute that you were staying behind and vice versa. On top of this I did 4.5 min on T1, stupid slow moves and lack of experience wasted my time there, most of the other guys did around 2.5 to 3 min. So, I could chop 4 min in total from my overall finish time and this would have take me up to within the first 35 people or so.
Never mind, I enjoyed the race a lot and I'm satisfied on my performance on this first ever triathlon event. Training preparation paid well; 1 and 1/2 months of training only, for 3 sports which I had no previous technical experience or sufficient physical condition and with a flat bar race bike that I bought 3 months before the race. I also know that running is not my strength, actually it was never my strength. I weight 99kg and during the 1 and 1/2 months of training this part was the one that I didn't manage to improve at all, even when I was specifically training for this (I started bike with 44min and I drop it down to 35 min, for the swim from 21 min it went down to 16 min, but for the run I was always between 26 min to 32 min no matter what - I did 28 min during the race). I had problems with my knees (patela area) few weeks before the race due to wrong running style and wrong running shoes (perhaps). I am not built for running, unfortunately (this has also put me into the dillema if triathlon suits me... and especially those longer triathlon sessions like Olympic distance) .
But, I am quite happy with my swim and bike part, I could do even better if I was a bit more careful with adequate hydration the days before the race (I drunk about 3lt of water within the first hour after the end of the race, probably an indication that I was not properly fueled up prior to the race - did I underestimate the nutritional demands of this sprint triathlon??).
I have now noted down what I can improve during the next triathlon event. Lots of things actually, but I am confident that I can perform better with time. Swim faster, bike harder and run smoother...
My next event is the 10 km run during the 2010 Athens Classic Marathon, which coincidents with the 2500 years after the actual Marathon battle. More than 21,000 people have registered for this event... I will appear on the start line the night before the race to lock a place. I am not having any expectations at all - fun is my only objective!

No comments:

Popular blog articles...